Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Jacob and Esau

In Malachi 1:2, it is written: "I have shown love to you," says the Lord, but you say, "How have you shown love to us?"  "Esau was Jacob's brother," the Lord explains, "yet I chose Jacob."

Jacob. The second born-inferior from the very beginning, unable to receive the blessing of the firstborn. Yet he was blessed as firstborn.

Jacob. The one whose name was given to him due to his persistence to gain his brother's birthright. And he did win it over Esau. With a bowl of red-bean soup.

Now, how does this affect us all? We all have, in our lives, an "Esau". He represents one who lives skillfully, successfully. And we all grow jealous.

Yet, there are two reactions. The first, their jealously kills their spirit. Their fire no longer burns, and in their heart, a statement lives.

"How can I ever beat this man?'

Yet the other lets their jealously encourage them. They say and declare Psalm 61:2.

From the most remote place on earth I call out to you in my despair. Lead me up to an inaccessible rocky summit!

Which one are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment